How to Join
Boy Scout Joining Requirements
1. Meet age requirements: Be a boy who has completed the fifth grade and be at least 10 years old, or be 11 years old, or have earned the Arrow of Light Award and be at least 10 years old, and be under 18 years old.
2. Complete a Boy Scout application and health history signed by your parent or guardian.
Scout Rank Requirement
1. Complete all the items below:
a. Repeat from memory the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, Scout slogan. In your own words, explain their meaning.
b. Explain what Scout spirit is. Describe some ways you have shown Scout spirit by practicing the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto,
and Scout slogan.
c. Give the Boy Scout sign, salute, and handshake. Explain when they should be used.
d. Describe the First Class Scout badge and tell what each part stands for. Explain the significance of the First Class Scout badge.
e. Repeat from memory the Outdoor Code. In your own words, explain what the Outdoor Code means to you.
2. After attending at least one Boy Scout troop meeting, do the following:
a. Describe how the Scouts in the troop provide its leadership.
b. Describe the four steps of Boy Scout advancement.
c. Describe what the ranks in Boy Scouting are and how they are earned.
d. Describe what merit badges are and how they are earned.
3. Do the following:
a. Explain the patrol method. Describe the types of patrols that are used in your troop.
b. Become familiar with your patrol name, emblem, flag, and yell. Explain how these items create patrol spirit.
4. Do the following:
a. Show how to tie a square knot, two half-hitches, and a taut-line hitch. Explain how each knot is used.
b. Show the proper care of a rope by learning how to whip and fuse the ends of different kinds of rope.
5. Demonstrate your knowledge of pocketknife safety.
6. With your parent or guardian complete the exercise in the pamphlet How to Protect Your Children From Child Abuse: A Parent's Guide
and earn the Cyber Chip Award for your grade.
7. Since joining the troop and while working on Scout rank, participate in a Scoutmaster conference.
Here are Questions on Joining a Boy Scout Troop.
"The spirit is there in every boy; it has to be discovered and brought to light."
- Sir Robert Baden-Powell